Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- Library Catalog
- Research Databases
- LSC-University Park Library
- FAQ & Knowledgebase
- 2 sources via research databases (no websites!)
- 1 source = textbook
- APA (professional format) paper
- 3-5 pages (not including title page and references)
Start Taking Notes to Organize Your Thoughts
Start with your textbook to begin identifying parts of your answer to the assignment's guiding question: Why is play important to the development of children? (Focused on PreK - 3rd grade)
Textbooks provide helpful overviews of topics, making them a good place to start gathering ideas...plus, you already have it lying around. Convenient!
You know what points you need to cover in your paper, so start taking notes in an outline format to organize your research. This way you'll know what you know -- and where the gaps are that you need to fill in with additional sources.
Topics that must be included in your essay:
- The 5 Types of Play (explain each type and give examples)
- Gender Differences in how Children Play
- Cultural Impact on Play
- How to Insert Play into a Early Childhood Classroom
- Why Play is Important