1. Identify the federal government’s major challenges in reconstructing the South after the Civil War during the period from 1865 to 1877.
2. Explain the primary factors that stimulated unprecedented industrial and agricultural growth in the late nineteenth century.
3. Describe the experience of miners, farmers, ranchers, and women in the West in the late nineteenth century.
4. Explain how and why white southerners took away African Americans’ rights to vote and adopted “Jim Crow” segregation laws at the end of the nineteenth century.
5. Describe the “new immigrants” of the late nineteenth century and how they were viewed by American society.