Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Keyword Suggestions & Considerations
The terms on this page are meant to help you flesh out your searches -- it's helpful to look for "19th century pelisses" rather than "19th century clothes" over and over! There are also some other notes here and there for considerations like rural vs urban or breaking down a larger time period into more specifics.
To get started with links to actual image repositories and collections, look for your continent under Costume Resources above.
- Consider which dynastic period you want: Old Kingdom? New Kingdom? Late Period?
- beadnet dress
- spans about 762~1258 CE
- Baghdad is the major city
- Abbasid Caliphate
- bum roll
- hose or breeches
- sumptuary laws sought to control fashion excesses
- Florence was the prominent city at this time
- 1603-1867 (ending with the Meiji restoration)
- Important location: Edo (now known as Tokyo)
- aka the Edo period
- homespun (fabric)
- Continental Army uniforms (or lack thereof)
- neckerchief or fichu
- tricorn hats, mobcaps
The Napoleonic Wars overlap with this period.
- Empire (high) waist
- redingote or pelisse
- Betsy collar
- Geography: Kenya and Tanzania
- The Confederacy (Confederate States of Amercia) = Virginia, North Carolina, South Caroline, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Florida, Louisiana, Texas
- Cotton was grown in the south but processed in the north -- the war disrupts fabric production
- crinoline or hoopskirts
- Confederate military uniforms (grey)
- "butternut" uniforms
- homespun (fabric)
The First Boer War kicked off this decade.
- Rationing affected clothing and fabric
- Utility Clothing - CC41 mark
- Blitz (London, primarily)
- Christian Dior's New Look
- Cities of note: San Francisco, Los Angeles
- Skateboard culture resurged with the drought drying out swimming pools
- Cities of note: Seattle
- Celebrity icons: Kurt Cobain, Courtney Love
Search Credo Reference
Credo is an easy-to-use tool for starting research. Includes materials from over 650 reference books on a variety of topics in higher education, including art, business, history, languages, literature, science, criminal justice, and political science.
Clothing and dress
Can't Find That Book?
View and access the LSC electronic books anytime & anyplace.
If a title is not in our catalog, submit a request to have it pulled from another library system. Enjoy this free service!
LSC Library Catalog
- Request print books and physical items from LSC Libraries, Harris County & Montgomery County Public Libraries.
- Items will be delivered to your campus.
- Search by keyword, author, title, ISBN, and more.