Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Upload your paper for a quick check for unintentional plagiarism. Free service. No account necessary.
If your LSC campus has an institutional subscription you can join the free premium service using your school email account as authentication.
4 Ways to Avoid Plagiarism
- Citing is the most effective way to avoid plagiarism.
- Begin your research and writing early to avoid mistakes made in a hurry.
- Consult a writing expert in the LSC-UP Writing Lab
- Read the selected information sources for understanding. Use to your own words in paraphrasing this new information.
- Include in-text citations within your paper that match to the list of full citations on your Works Cited page.
- When quoting a source, use the exact words as they appear in the source. Place quotations around the quote. Place in-text citation at the close of the quote.
Writing Coaches for Success
A writing consultant is free to currently enrolled LSCS students. No appointment is necessary. During busy times, coaches may limit sessions to 20-30 minutes. Writing consultants do not proofread your paper, rather they help you refine structural issues in your paper. They identify weaknesses within your writing and strengthen those areas to help you produce a better product.
To maximize this process:
- Bring a copy of your assignment, along with any other necessary course materials and textbooks.
- Ask specific questions.
- Allow enough time to complete your assignment before the deadline.
Managing Your Research
While conducting research you will need to capture the articles and associated citations. Your process will be very individual, but be consistent and choose a tool to help organize your research. Some suggested tools below:
OneDrive - Cloud storage from Microsoft Office 365. 1 TB free for Lone Star College students.
Evernote - The Basic version is free. Works across all mobile devices. Create notebooks for each course or writing assignment. Be sure to download the Web Clipper as well.
Zotero - Zotero is a free, open access extension that runs in the Firefox and Chrome browsers that's designed to gather, download, and tag your research. Helpful tutorials.
EasyBib - Citation generator that is free for MLA.